To help Tam and the team find out what Scotland’s children and young people thought were the most important things we should be working on, we had a RIGHT blether with many thousands of you across the country.
Our RIGHT blether took almost a year. Tam met many of you face to face to hear what you thought. Thousands of you told us what was already brilliant in your lives and thousands of you told us what you thought could be done better for children. At the end of the year 74,059 of you cast your RIGHT blether vote. When we counted them all up, your votes told us what were the four most important things children and young people wanted us to work hardest on.
Where we learn we should be TREATED FAIRLY… no matter how much money our families have
In the country we live in, Scotland, we should all be INCLUDED…no matter how different we all are
So Tam will work very hard to make things better in the areas you told us needed special attention. We have decided that the best way we can use our time over the next few years is to focus on working on your behalf to make things better in these areas for some of Scotland’s most vulnerable children and young people. We will do this wherever possible, and work for and with as many of you as we can.
Follow this link to download and/or order our RIGHT now action plan materials that summarise these results.
But that is not all;
- We will also work hard to encourage and support new learning about children’s rights in schools and out of school
- We will also offer those of you who feel your voices are not being heard, or your rights are not being supported, help and advice
- We will continue to travel around Scotland so Tam can meet you in schools, youth clubs and in other places
- We will continue to ask adults in power, like members of the Scottish Parliament and others in charge of important services and organisations, to think hard about how new laws, or the decisions they make in their work, might affect you
- It is important Tam talks to many adults about children’s rights too, so they understand better how they can play their part in making them strong in Scotland
Thanks for helping us focus our energies on the issues you think are most important. We will tell you more about what is being achieved in November 2012, and every year until 2016.
Get in touch to keep up to date with our work, find out how you can get involved and to learn more.